Sizing and Measurements
Purchasing a Bogu set - or any other large purchase - online can be an intimidating process, but California Budogu is here to help every step of the way! Taking measurements for a Bogu set may seem like a difficult task, but following the steps below can help ensure a perfect fit.
California Budogu requires three different measurements for the Men:
- Around Chin (your overall head size)
- Hachimaki Size (the size around your forehead)
- Monomi Height (height of your eyes)
The around chin size indicates the Uchiwa (inner lining) size for the Men, while the Hachimaki and Monomi height determine the size and height of the metal Mengane.
We require two measurements for the Kote:
- The overall hand length
- The circumference around the fingers.
We recommend measuring both of your hands to be on the safe side. If you find there are any significant differences in measurement, please feel free to contact us. Furthermore, if you would like to be safer when it comes to sizing, you can also provide us with an additional measurement: the circumference around your palms.
DO and TARE
The height and opening of the Do and Tare are determined by your height and waist size. If you feel like there is any additional information we should take into consideration, please feel free to contact us!
- We recommend having a friend or Dojo mate help with taking your measurements, in order to ensure accuracy. If you are unsure of anything, please feel free to send any questions or photos to email@example.com, and we will be happy to assist you!
- One of the most difficult yet most important measurements is the "Around Chin" size. Please note that the measuring tape should go around both the tip of the chin and the highest point on the head.
- Please do not use harder or metal measuring tapes. We recommend using a flexible measuring tape to ensure accuracy.
- Please send us your exact measurements. If you require any special attention to the sizing of your order (for example, a larger Bogu set for a growing child), please let us know in the order comments or send us an email and we will be happy to help!
In general, both the Kendogi and Hakama size are based solely on height. While there is normally no difference in Kendogi sizes, please note that in general female Kendoka tend to wear their Hakama slighly higher than male Kendoka.
Please also note that while the following size charts illustrate the most common uniform sizes based on height, other factors such as waist size or personal preference may be taken into consideration. For any questions any additional information we should take into consideration, please feel free to contact us at any time!
KENDOGI (Size chart for guidance purposes only)
HAKAMA (Size chart for guidance purposes only)